Receiving visitors from abroad

Sometimes, when you have visitors from abroad, you may need a sponsorship or private accommodation declaration (your visitors will require this when applying for a visa). You can apply for this at the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). The signing of the documents takes place at the municipality. Make an appointment with our Civil Affairs department by calling (0297) 513 111. The signing of the sponsorship will be completed while you wait.


By providing sponsorship, you ensure that your guest will not encounter problems if they are unable to afford the costs of staying in the Netherlands. For example, if your guest no longer has access to their funds. If you have a partner, you both need to sign the sponsorship, making you jointly responsible for your guest's expenses.

If your foreign visitor is staying in your home, you will need a private accommodation declaration.


In this situation, you must have your signature for sponsorship and/or private accommodation declaration legalized by the municipality:

  • Your visitor is coming for a short stay in the Netherlands (no longer than 3 months).
  • Your visitor needs a visa.

If your visitor has less than €55 per day to spend, someone must act as a guarantor.

These are the conditions for guaranteeing:

  • You reside in the Netherlands.
  • You have a Citizen Service Number (BSN).
  • You earn at least the minimum wage.
  • If you have a partner, they also sign the sponsorship.
  • If your visitor has €55 or more to spend per day, you only need to apply for private accommodation declaration.
  • If your visitor doesn't need a visa, you don't have to sign the form at the municipality.

The legalization costs per signature: €13 (rate for 2024).


Sponsorship is valid for a stay of up to 3 months in the Netherlands


Here is how you can apply for a sponsorship and/or a private accommodation declaration and legalize your signature:

Bring with you:

  • The completed form from the IND
  • Your valid ID
  • Sign the form in the presence of a municipal officer.
  • Pay for the legalization of your signature.

If you have a partner, they must also sign the sponsorship at the municipality.

More information

 Sponsorship and private accommodation declaration application form: